Mounts Iglit-Baco National Park is a protected area of the Philippines and an ASEAN Heritage Park located in Mindoro Island in central Philippines. The park covers an area of 75,445 hectares surrounding Mount Iglit and Mount Baco in the central interior of Mindoro.
The park was established in 1970, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations listed it as one of its four heritage par ...
ks in the Philippines. The park has also been nominated in the Tentative List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The park is the habitat of the endemic Tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis), a small, hoofed mammal of the Bovid species unique to the Philippines. It is one of the most seriously endangered animals in the world. It was for this reason that the park was established, first as a game refuge and bird sanctuary in 1969 with an initial area of 8,956 hectares, then as a national park increasing its size a year later.
Apart from the tamaraw, other forms of wildlife are also found within the park including the Mindoro Climbing Rat, Philippine deer, and wild pigs. A number of bird species also inhabit the park like the Mindoro Imperial Pigeon, Mindoro Scops Owl, Black-hooped Coucal, Scarlet-collared Flowerpecker and Heart Pigeon.
Some of the important indigenous plants found in the park are the Kalantas tree, Tindalo, Almaciga, Kamagong and Jade vine.
Mounts Iglit-Baco National Park News
The Senate on Monday approved a bill that expanded the number of protected areas in the country.
Senate Bill No. 1444, or the "Expanded NIPAS Act of 2017" was approved on third and final hearing with 22 affirmative votes, zero negative vote, and zero abstention.
It would bring 92 new areas, including six internationally-recognized natural sites, under the protection and management of the country's landmark National Integrated and Protected Areas System (NIPAS) Act.
The bill seeks to amend Republic Act 7586 or the NIPAS Act of 1992, in order "to include more areas and to ensure greater ...
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Philippines on Thursday introduced the Individual Donor Program (IDP) to the public with WWF-Philippines Marine Conservation Steward Luis Manzano at Glorietta 4 in Makati.
Thru participating in the IDP, people can now directly contribute in the ecological-sustainability initiative of the WWF that encourages the public to funnel their finances to vital and urgent causes such as conservation.
People can join IDP by visiting WWF booths in selected malls all over the country or by simply going to the organization's website.
"These donations are directed in go ...
It is raining heavily in the Iglit-Baco National Park and we are hunkered in a thatched hut in the forest.
Inside we sit with three ancient Fufu-amas, elders of the Taw Buid, a tribe from Mindoro.
They are clad in loincloths while smoking a mysterious herb in wooden bak to pipes. It is supposedly tobacco, but smells like something else.
I was last here in 2012 to photograph the tamaraw, a critically-endangered buffalo WWF is working to conserve. I have returned to learn more about the Taw Buid, an indigenous tribe helping to protect the tamaraw.
They wish to visit our village tomor ...
Mts. Iglit-Baco National Park lies at the heart of Mindoro Island Philippines.
Its greater portion (approximately 75%) falls under the jurisdiction of Occidental Mindoro in the municipalities of Sablayan, Calintaan, Rizal and fringe of San Jose while the remaining portion (25%) falls under the territory of Oriental Mindoro in the towns of Pinamalayan, Gloria, Bansud, Bongabong and Mansalay.
Camera: Canon 600D
Lens: Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Background Music: Bensound - Better Days
The Foundation was welcoming Dr. James Burton, Chair of IUCN SSC Asian Wild Cattle Specialist Group and Dr. Barney Long, Director of Species Conservation, Global Wildlife Conservation, during a week visit to the Philippines to better discover our actions, discuss about our "Mangyan ??" Tamaraw Driven Landscape Program" and other issues regarding endangered species.
Their journey was complemented by several meetings with local stakeholders and partners and a field visit to the Mts Iglit-Baco National Park on Mindoro with observation of the elusive Tamaraw.
This visit ends up with promisin ...
It's blazing hot, the mountains are steep, and with every crest comes another. We drop our packs atop a crest, gulp back some water, then start to enjoy the amazing vista that had seemed so daunting just seconds before. We all gaze at the beauty of our surroundings listening to the beating of our hearts in our ears as we recover from the last steep ascent. Suddenly an arm goes up pointing into the distance: "What is that, a rock? I'm sure it moved." It is far away, but the black shape in the tall green grass is definitely moving. A Tamaraw! I never expected to see such a rare animal on the wal ...